About the Program
The Bishop Daniel A. Payne Scholarship at Wilberforce University is an opportunity for Incoming undergraduate students who have significant promise, excellent academic performance (3.8 or higher G.P.A.) and have demonstrated artistic talent, or an entrepreneurial spirit, or promotion of social good. Prospective students need not apply directly to receive a Payne Scholarship. The scholarship includes designation as a scholar, summer internship funding, a research mentor, and have access to an international travel experience. This opportunity is a comprehensive, four-year distinctive experience. Receiving the Payne Scholarship is one of Wilberforce’s most prestigious opportunities.
Scholarship recipients are expected to live on campus for their first three years of the program, where scholars will experience living and learning communities. In addition to regular engagement activities, scholars will engage our President and other members of campus senior leadership, alumni, faculty, and Board of Trustees members and community leaders from the Xenia community. Scholars will serve as mentors to incoming students and participate in a first-year living and learning community.
- Bishop Daniel A. Payne Scholarship Reception
- Participation in the mandatory Scholar Orientation
- Attendance in the Wilberforce University Seminars (at least twice per semester)
- Faculty Research Partnership
- Leader Development Opportunities (Annual Symposium, Campus Activities, and Academic Clubs)
- Completion of Summer Internship
- Maintain a 3.5 or higher G.P.A.
- Participation in the Mark and Shelly Wilson Center for Entrepreneurship, Social Good, and Transformational Leadership
Requirements For Consideration
Incoming undergraduate students who have met the criteria for Bishop Daniel A. Payne Scholars are invited to
participate in the selection process. During the selection process students submit an essay, letter of
recommendation, and interview.
Students selected to participate in the Program are named as one of the following scholars:
- W.E.B. Dubois Scholar based upon demonstrated interest in pursuing a major in the Humanities field.
- Leontyne Price Scholar based upon demonstrated interest in pursuing a major in the Arts or Music fields.
- Dorothy J. Vaughan Scholar based upon demonstrated interest in pursuing a major in Math, Science,
Technology, Health, or Business fields.
- Bayard J. Rustin Scholar based upon demonstrated interest in impacting the Social Good, and may
pursue a major in any field.
- William Julius Wilson Scholar based upon demonstrated interest in pursuing a major in Sociology,
Social Work, or Communication fields.
January 30, 2018 – Acceptance to Wilberforce University and Completion/submission of FAFSA
April 7, 2018 – Payne Scholar Interview Weekend
April 14, 2018 – 2018 Payne Scholars Announced
May 1, 2018 – Confirmation of Enrollment Deadline