The Venerable Wilberforce University invites candidates who are fully committed to the mission and values of Wilberforce University to apply for faculty positions in the English Department. You will be responsible for classroom instruction for courses in English and Literature. Only faculty who have taught in-person on a college campus will be considered for the position.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Instruct students in all aspects of English Composition, including but not limited to the writing process, rhetoric, literature, research and documentation
- Instruct students in writing intensive course work
- Create syllabi, course materials, and assignments to support course learning outcomes as defined by the English Department and State of Ohio
- Ensure that students achieve course learning outcomes as defined in the syllabus
- Maintain electronic records (using Canvas) of student performance, progress, and attendance
- Complete, as directed, all start and end of term responsibilities, including submission of no-show rosters and final grades
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to create an engaging learning environment that respects a wide variety of viewpoints
- Effective time management skills
- Proficiency with online communication and record-keeping
- Ability to work independently without ongoing direct supervision.
- Sensitivity to the needs and concerns of diverse student populations, socio-economic, cultural and ethnicbackgrounds, and students with disabilities.
- Ability to take and deliver constructive criticism
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Master’s degree in English Literature, Professional/Technical Writing, or related master’s degree with 18 graduate credit hours in English and Literature
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Two years of teaching or industry experience
- Experience using online learning management systems (Canvas)
- Experience working with students from diverse academic backgrounds and life experiences
- Ability to employ a range of classroom/instructional technologies
- Flexible availability
Founded in 1856, Wilberforce University is America’s first private, coeducational University established to educated men and women of African descent; and is closely affiliated with the African Methodist Episcopal Church. Today, Wilberforce is a well-respected private, residential liberal arts university with a clear mission, core values and vision for the future and is a noted pioneer in the Co-Operative Education Movement.
Wilberforce awards the Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees in the areas of business, engineering and computing science, humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences; as well as the Master of Rehabilitation Counseling degree. The University is located in Wilberforce, Ohio, a community readily accessible to the Dayton, Cincinnati and Columbus metropolitan centers’ social, professional and cultural amenities and airports.
Wilberforce University is an Equal Opportunity Employer
How to Apply:
To apply, please use the “Apply for Job” button below to submit a cover letter and resume to the Wilberforce University Department of Human Resources.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org