The Venerable Wilberforce University invites candidates who are fully committed to the mission and values of Wilberforce University to apply for faculty positions in the Social Sciences Department. You will be responsible for classroom instruction for courses in Social Work. Only faculty who have taught in-person on a college campus will be considered for the position.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- The successful candidate will facilitate placement of undergraduate and graduate social work students in field settings
- Teach field education seminars, serve as a faculty field liaison
- Develop field education internship sites, and other activities related to field education
- Create syllabi, course materials, and assignments to support course learning outcomes as defined by the Social Sciences Department and State of Ohio
- Ensure that students achieve course learning outcomes as defined in the syllabus
- Maintain electronic records (using Canvas) of student performance, progress, and attendance
- Complete, as directed, all start and end of term responsibilities, including submission of no-show rosters and final grades
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to create an engaging learning environment that respects a wide variety of viewpoints
- Effective time management skills
- Proficiency with online communication and record-keeping
- Ability to work independently without ongoing direct supervision.
- Sensitivity to the needs and concerns of diverse student populations, socio-economic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds, and students with disabilities.
- Ability to take and deliver constructive criticism
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Eligible for LISW licensure in Ohio as determined by the Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage & Family Therapist Board, and either of the following:
- Earned doctoral degree in Social Work or closely-related field that is recognized by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) prior to effective date of appointment.
- Earned Master’s degree in Social Work or closely-related field from a CSWE-accredited program (or equivalent CSWE-accredited degree) plus 2 years of post-Master’s degree experience in the practice of Social Work, prior to the effective date of the appointment.
- At least two academic year of college-level teaching experience teaching social work courses.
- Experience using online learning management systems (Canvas)
- Experience working with students from diverse academic backgrounds and life experiences
- Ability to employ a range of classroom/instructional technologies
- Flexible availability
Candidates who have Ph.D./DSW in Social Work or related field; from an accredited institution; teaching experience at the university level; hold a social work license in Ohio; are familiar with community resources in Central Ohio; have teaching experience and experience with cross-cultural practice and working with diverse populations.
Founded in 1856, Wilberforce University is America’s first private, coeducational University established to educated men and women of African descent; and is closely affiliated with the African Methodist Episcopal Church. Today, Wilberforce is a well-respected private, residential liberal arts university with a clear mission, core values and vision for the future and is a noted pioneer in the Co-Operative Education Movement.
Wilberforce awards the Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees in the areas of business, engineering and computing science, humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences; as well as the Master of Rehabilitation Counseling degree. The University is located in Wilberforce, Ohio, a community readily accessible to the Dayton, Cincinnati and Columbus metropolitan centers’ social, professional and cultural amenities and airports.
Wilberforce University is an Equal Opportunity Employer
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and unofficial undergraduate and graduate transcripts (official transcripts are due at time of hire) by clicking “Apply” below.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org