The Director of Business and Finance/Controller supervises all of the accounting and cash functions and systems of the University, ensures the development, implementation, and monitoring of appropriate internal controls, and serves as functional owner of the system finance module. The Director of Business and Finance/Controller ensures that the institution’s accounting practices satisfy the highest ethical requirements, as must his or her own behavior.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
IMMEDIATE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plans, controls, directs, and evaluates the University’s fiscal function and performance;
- Evaluates the effectiveness of internal controls at the University and implements changes in consultation with the VPA & CFO;
- Coordinates all external audits of the University;
- Coordinates and reviews the integration of financial data from the Banner system;
- Prepares financial statements and footnotes for auditors and other interested parties;
- Manages financial accounting and reporting for the University;
- Evaluates the impact of proposed regulatory action or changes to accounting standards;
- Provides timely and accurate analysis of financial reports;
- Enhances and/or develops, implements, and enforces policies and procedures by way of systems and processes that will improve overall operations, efficiency and effectiveness;
- Leads efforts to upgrade and improve the software system finance module as needed; supervises and reviews the reconciliation of University bank accounts, investment accounts, and other balance sheet activity;
- Evaluates office structure and team to help ensure continual improvement;
- Develops and implements procedures to manage the University cash flow.
- Other duties as assigned.
EVOLVING DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plans, oversees and directs the financial functions of the university as related to general accounting, billing, collections, payroll, accounts payable, procurement, sponsored programs, grants and contracts.
- Monitors financial services and activities; ensures compliance with federal regulations and laws; coordinates and reviews financial reporting.
- Ensures orderly, timely and accuracy of processing transactions, closing of the general ledger, recording, and preparation of financial reports.
- Establishes accountability controls such as account reconciliations and timely resolution of resolution of reconciling differences.
- Reviews, evaluates, and recommends improvements to the university’s accounting and financial internal control systems and procedures.
- Provides staff supervision and direction for designated staff; evaluates job performances and develop professional development plans for staff; and ensures that staff receives appropriate training.
- Recommends and assists in the implementation of goals and objectives for Business and Finance.
- Establish schedules and methods for providing financial services to the campus community; implement policies and procedures.
- Participates in strategic planning activities pertaining to financial services.
- Serves on councils, committees and task forces to represent Business and Finance.
- Assists the Vice President for Business and Finance with special assignments and projects as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or a related field; Master’s Preferred;
- Five (5) years’ experience in fiscal affairs at a university;
- Extensive knowledge, training, and experience of accounting and auditing standards and regulations;
- Skill in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures;
- Ability to use software employed to quantify and illustrate complex financial reports;
- Ability to establish, direct, and enforce financial control systems, policies, and procedures; Ability to gather data, analyze and compile information, and prepare reports;
- Ability to effectively communicate and collaborate with a wide range of constituents;
- Ability to select, manage, develop, and empower the people who are part of the Director of Business and Finance/Controller’s Office team; Leadership ability within a diverse environment.
Founded in 1856, Wilberforce University is America’s first private, coeducational University established to educated men and women of African descent; and is closely affiliated with the African Methodist Episcopal Church. Today, Wilberforce is a well-respected private, residential liberal arts university with a clear mission, core values and vision for the future and is a noted pioneer in the Co-Operative Education Movement.
Wilberforce awards the Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees in the areas of business, engineering and computing science, humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences; as well as the Master of Rehabilitation Counseling degree. The University is located in Wilberforce, Ohio, a community readily accessible to the Dayton, Cincinnati and Columbus metropolitan centers’ social, professional and cultural amenities and airports.
Wilberforce University is an Equal Opportunity Employer
How to Apply:
To apply for the Director of Business and Finance/Controller position, use the “Quick Apply/Submit Resume” button below to submit your information, cover letter and resume to the Wilberforce University Department of Administration and Human Resources.