Director of the Cooperative Education and Career Planning will be responsible and accountable for the overall success of the placement of students through the execution of cooperative education and career planning standards of operation, achievement of department goals and objectives, and management of department personnel to achieve individual goals.
The Director of Cooperative Education and Career Planning reports to the Executive Vice President and Provost and will support and implement the administration and University’s overall goals and objectives for the cooperative education and career planning and services program. The primary responsibility will be to oversee and manage the cooperative education and career planning and services program. The Director will: supervise and evaluate all cooperative education and career planning and services personnel; train new cooperative education and career planning and services faculty and provide mentoring and coaching to team members; set team goals consistent with overall goals of the University; assist coordinators and staff in resolving issues regarding students, employers and others in a timely manner; oversee unit funds including co-op work study and other funded positions; and help ensure a diverse and extensive pool of positions for co-op students. The Director will fulfill his/her coordinator responsibilities and serve as a role model for his/her peers in carrying out responsibilities which include: job development, student advising/mentoring, teaching the Introduction to Co-op course (as needed), following up with students while the students are on co-op, and helping students reflect after co-op. The Director will coordinate the Annul Co-Op Student Career Fair.
The Director of Co-Operative Education will actively collaborate with other University academic and administrative personnel to expand employer, donor, and alumni awareness of cooperative education and career planning and services; develop and regularly assess an array of cooperative education and career planning and services outcomes, benchmark with comparable institutions, including internship and employment outcomes and graduate school admissions; work with Marketing and Communications and other University constituent groups to design and implement a comprehensive internal and external marketing program to promote the services provided to students, prospective employers and alumni; and ensure that guidance is provided in the development of materials and communications that are effective, professional, and present Wilberforce University in a positive light.
General Description of Position:
Responsible for the direction, development, implementation, and evaluation of centralized cooperative education and career planning and services; including cooperative education and career planning and services, EEO compliance, adherence to affirmative action principles and provide assistance to students in obtaining employment by making job search training and employment opportunities available with comparable services available to employers. Also provides internal project management coordination with academic and student service departments for students in cohort groups. Provides leadership and supervision to departmental employees.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Manage the daily operations of the Office of Cooperative education and career planning and services and Career Planning
- Achieve placement results in each program that are consistent with company guidelines and applicable regulatory agency standards
- Assist in the hiring, training of new cooperative education and career planning and services personnel
- Operations/ Events Coordination/ Reporting
- Plan and coordinate career fairs and other cooperative education and career planning and services focused events
- Participate in campus orientation, open houses, and graduation events
- Maintain high level of integrity and accuracy of all graduate employment records
- Involved in the reporting of graduate employment statistics as required by the accrediting agency and/or Department of Education
- Ensure accurate use of student database system on a daily/weekly basis
- Coordination of advisory boards for all programs.
- In collaboration with the HLC Accreditation, distribute, and collect employer satisfaction surveys as required
Student and Graduate Management
- Advise students, graduates, and alumni on career issues including: job search strategies, resume writing and interviewing through one on one assistance or workshops
- Conduct pre-graduation exit interviews with students.
- Research and communicate current job postings to active candidates on a regular basis
- Prepare email and written communication to students, graduates, and campus community.
- Contact employers to develop and maintain cooperative partnerships including, but not limited to: identifying viable job opportunities for students, advisory board membership, internship/externship program participation, survival jobs, career fair participation, guest speaking, etc.
- Match appropriate resumes to job orders, and distribute resumes promptly.
- Assist employers in facilitating hiring process: contacting students, graduates, and alumni for interviews.
- Participate in local and regional area networking events that support functional unit mission.
- Complete, as directed, all start and end of term responsibilities, including submission of no-show rosters and final grades
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Doctorate degree in a related field, higher education administration, public administration, counseling and/or personnel relations.
- Minimum of 10 years of higher education experience in student leadership development and cooperative education and career planning and services management or equivalent private sector experience (i.e. corporate recruiting and training and development).
- Experience using online learning management systems (Canvas)
- Experience working with students from diverse academic backgrounds and life experiences
- Knowledge of cooperative education and career planning and services placement principles, procedures, and resources inclusive of resume writing, interview coaching, job search techniques
- Ability to set and achieve outcomes based performance goals
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects; strong planning and organizational skills.
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of records and information.
- Business development skills
- Master’s degree in a related field, higher education administration, public administration, counseling and/or personnel relations.
- Minimum of 5 years of higher education experience in student leadership development and cooperative education and career planning and services management or equivalent private sector experience (i.e. corporate recruiting and training and development).
- MS Word, Excel required; Database management
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
Founded in 1856, Wilberforce University is America’s first private, coeducational University established to educated men and women of African descent; and is closely affiliated with the African Methodist Episcopal Church. Today, Wilberforce is a well-respected private, residential liberal arts university with a clear mission, core values and vision for the future and is a noted pioneer in the Co-Operative Education Movement.
Wilberforce awards the Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees in the areas of business, engineering and computing science, humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences; as well as the Master of Rehabilitation Counseling degree. The University is located in Wilberforce, Ohio, a community readily accessible to the Dayton, Cincinnati and Columbus metropolitan centers’ social, professional and cultural amenities and airports.
Wilberforce University is an Equal Opportunity Employer
How to Apply:
To apply for the Director of Co-operative Education and Career Planning position, use the “Quick Apply/Submit Resume” button below to submit your information, cover letter and resume to the Wilberforce University Department of Administration and Human Resources.