Director of Residence Life is a full-time, 12-month, (possible live-on) position with benefits. The Director of Housing and Residence Life has on-call responsibilities. The Director is responsible for providing vision and direction to the Office of Housing and Residence Life. This position plays a critical role in the planning and development of co-curricular learning and student support at the College through the residential experience.
The Director of Housing and Residence Life is responsible for the daily administration of the total residence life program supervising professional staff, undergraduate student staff, and community assistants. The Director of Housing and Residence Life is responsible for creating an environment where student learning and skill development is facilitated through best practice models for housing and residence life. The Director assists in serving as an administrative resource to students, parents, family members, faculty, staff, campus administration, and alumni/alumnae.
This position is a student development position that requires an individual to oversee staff, implement best practices for housing and residence life, build community, communicate to student constituents and campus community, respond immediately to an emergency, create a safe and healthy living environment, evaluate and communicate maintenance problems, and address student conduct.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Oversee all residential facilities openings and closings, room assignments, services, safety and security and associated documentation.
- Serve as the representative for the Housing and Office of Residence Life for college committees, as requested and appointed.
- Review, research, and evaluate, as necessary, all aspects of the Residence Life program to ensure optimum understanding of the student/staff needs, concerns, attitudes, etc., and will develop, with appropriate staff assistance, policies, programs, and procedures designed to meet those needs.
- Oversee the room, furniture, and key inventory system.
- Develop and oversee the coordination and administration of the housing room selection process.
- Assume fiscal responsibility for the Office of Housing and Residence Life; budgets, grants, and fundraising.
- Identify and implement a system to manage all residential student housing assignments and applications, and provide training to professional staff members on system.
Administration of Residence Life:
- Assume responsibility for the selection, training, supervision and evaluation of the professional residence life staff.
- Assume responsibility, for the selection, training, supervision, evaluation and assignment of the student Residence Hall Directors and Community Assistants.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of student development theory, student personnel administration, and concepts of staff development, students’ rights and responsibilities.
- Develop, plan and implement, student training programs related to personal safety, community life, fire safety, health and wellness, and other co-curricular programs.
- Design, develop and revise, as necessary, and disseminate the Residence Life Manual.
- Assume responsibility for the development and implementation of the Office of Housing and Residence Life annual strategic plan, goals, objectives and learning outcomes, consistent with College purpose and mission.
Residential Community Development
- Assume responsibility for the development and implementation of a residential environment that instructs student rights and responsibilities, service learning, personal growth, development and leadership, with measurable operational and student learning outcomes.
- Serve as the primary advisor for the emerging Residence Hall Association and actively mentor the executive board and general membership.
- Provide leadership for residential living/learning programs.
- Develop policies and procedures for responding to and adjudicating residence hall student conduct and disciplinary, including but not limited to; instruction on the student code of conduct, the student conduct process, training of the residential staff in the implementation of residence hall and College disciplinary action.
- Adjudicate residence hall based disciplinary student conduct cases.
- Assist in the adjudication of non-residence hall based disciplinary student conduct cases, as required.
- Have a working knowledge of Campus Clery requirements, Title IX requirements, Federal, State and local laws related to the housing and residential life operation; including but not limited to FERPA, Fire Safety, etc.
- Actively participate, and encourage the active participation of residence life staff, in College functions, activities, and co-curricular programs.
- Serve as an active liaison between the College Administration, faculty, staff and the student.
Conduct/Crisis Response/On Call Responsibilities:
- The Director of Housing & Residence Life is expected to be available to residents on-a-daily basis.
- The Director of Housing & Residence Life is expected to make their employment with Wilberforce University their primary responsibility.
- Perform on-call duty as designated.
- Work closely with safety and security to manage operations in building.
- Work closely with facilities management to maintain cleaning schedule and maintenance of buildings.
- Partner with essential departments and individuals including Information Technology, Administration and Finance, Athletics, Dining Services, and Physical Plant.
- Oversee the scheduling, training, and development of Evening Desk Monitors and other front desk staff.
- Promote academic excellence in and outside the classroom, and promote the college mission and Wilberforce Renaissance.
- Participate in professional development and associations.
- Generally be available to staff and students at irregular hours and respond to crisis and emergencies.
- Assume responsibility for coordinating crisis response actions for residence life (i.e. campus emergencies, suicide, deaths, injuries, etc.).
- Partner with departments, including the Division of Student Engagement and Success, to advance departmental functions, programs, and events, and to advance the College purpose and mission.
- Assume responsibility to advance and develop additional programs and duties, necessary for the implementation of Student Engagement and Success and institutional strategic priorities.
- Assume other responsibilities as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Desired Education, Skills, and Experience:
- Three-Five years of experience as a professional in housing and student life administration. A Master’s Degree in Student Affairs, Higher Education Leadership, Counseling, or a related field is required.
- Must be proficient in using Word, Excel, Banner, and PowerPoint.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required with ability to effectively interact and communicate with all levels within the organization.
- Ability to be discreet in handling confidential and proprietary information appropriately.
- Proven track record of reliability, responsibility and integrity.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Must be able to effectively operate in a fast-paced environment and have the ability to work independent of direct supervision.
- Strong organizational and planning skills and ability to be detail-oriented.
Founded in 1856, Wilberforce University is America’s first private, coeducational University established to educated men and women of African descent; and is closely affiliated with the African Methodist Episcopal Church. Today, Wilberforce is a well-respected private, residential liberal arts university with a clear mission, core values and vision for the future and is a noted pioneer in the Co-Operative Education Movement.
Wilberforce awards the Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees in the areas of business, engineering and computing science, humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences; as well as the Master of Rehabilitation Counseling degree. The University is located in Wilberforce, Ohio, a community readily accessible to the Dayton, Cincinnati and Columbus metropolitan centers’ social, professional and cultural amenities and airports.
Wilberforce University is an Equal Opportunity Employer
How to Apply:
To apply for the Director of Housing and Residence Life position, use the “Quick Apply/Submit Resume” button below to submit your information, cover letter and resume to the Wilberforce University Department of Administration and Human Resources.