The Sports Information Director (SID) oversees all areas of sports information and marketing for the University Athletic programs (Men’s/Women’s Cross Country, Men’s/Women’s Basketball, and Men’s Golf). Central to the success of this position are developing and implementing strategies to increase awareness of achievements, build campus spirit, grow game day attendance, and enhance alumni loyalty. The SID serves as the primary media contact for athletics, including responding to media, developing media guides, providing statistical information, writing press releases, proactively pitching stories about student-athletes. Under the direction of the Athletic Director, the SID works closely with peers on content strategy, manages the Athletics website and supports coaches in maintaining their team information by assisting with web communications, photography, infographics, and social media strategy.
Expected Work Hours: 20 hours per week; hours vary but will include evenings and weekends
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Serves as the primary media contact for athletics, including responding to media inquiries in a timely manner, providing schedules and statistics, and actively pitching student-athlete stories
- Advises coaches and staff on communications with the media, including prep for interviews
- Writes press releases and profiles of student-athletes, coaches, and teams
- Coordinates media operations for hosted tournaments
- Game day management, including setup, attending and covering home games for assigned sports, coordinating audio/video, posting live stats and managing statistical records
- Posts game recaps, score, statistics and photos
- Oversees live streaming, social media and webcast coverage
- Produces and/or edits appropriate audio and video content
- Collaborates with the University photographer for player, team, staff, game and special event photographs
- Coordinates athletics marketing
- Promotes athletics events, clinics and camps to the local community and other target audiences
- Serves as webmaster for the athletics website and update statistics on DakStats software and collaborates with the Athletic Director for web communications on content, design and analytics
- Serves as the social media manager for athletics accounts and collaborates with the assistant director for content strategy on content and analytics
- Works with alumni relations and development on athletics-related fundraising events.
- Maintains sports information files and archives
- Serve as a game administrator for a portion of home events
- Other duties as assigned
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Physical Demands: Moderate activity; must be able to walk fields and lift up to 30 pounds on occasion.
Travel: Limited but occasional team travel as needed
Other Duties: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
- BA/BS, Sports Management/Marketing, Journalism, Communications, Marketing or similar field
- Minimum of two years of experience in sports information at collegiate level
- Strong self-initiative and ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines with minimal supervision
- Ability to effectively communicate with local, regional, and national media
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; attention to detail including the ability to detect grammatical and spelling errors
- Aptitude for collaborating with others, establish and maintain positive working relationships with staff, coaches, administrators and campus colleagues
- Passion for college sports
- Familiarity with the NAIA
- Proficiency in Stat Crew software, Adobe Creative Suite products including, but not limited to, In Design, Premiere and Photoshop, and Microsoft Office products such as Word, Excel, Power Point
- Ability to work evenings and weekends on a regular basis based on game schedules and travel as required
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Collegiate sports information: 2 years
- Experience using DakStats program and web content management software
- Experience managing social media including, but not limited to, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube
- Proficient use of all technology related to the sports information industry
Founded in 1856, Wilberforce University is America’s first private, coeducational University established to educated men and women of African descent; and is closely affiliated with the African Methodist Episcopal Church. Today, Wilberforce is a well-respected private, residential liberal arts university with a clear mission, core values and vision for the future and is a noted pioneer in the Co-Operative Education Movement.
Wilberforce awards the Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees in the areas of business, engineering and computing science, humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences; as well as the Master of Rehabilitation Counseling degree. The University is located in Wilberforce, Ohio, a community readily accessible to the Dayton, Cincinnati and Columbus metropolitan centers’ social, professional and cultural amenities and airports.
Wilberforce University is an Equal Opportunity Employer
How to Apply:
To apply for the Sports Information Director position, use the “Quick Apply/Submit Resume” button below to submit your information, cover letter and resume to the Wilberforce University Department of Administration and Human Resources.