Wilberforce University is a small, Liberal Arts University with an Entrepreneurial focus, with a legacy of being the nation’s first private HBCU. Adjunct Faculty are expected to fulfill the mission and core values of the university with dedication, compliance with all university and academic area policies, an entrepreneurial spirit, and a commitment to the success of the students and the university. The university is currently functioning in-person synchronous and asynchronous functionality. Adjunct faculty should live in the commutable greater Dayton, Cincinnati, Columbus area.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Plan, organize, and communicate instruction in ways which effectively encourage and stimulate student learning.
- Employ appropriate teaching and learning strategies and use instructional technology in line with the needs of the course and discipline.
- Support classroom and online (Canvas) efforts, and work with other relevant units of the university to facilitate and promote student success. Adjunct faculty need to have demonstrated proficiency in virtual course design and pedagogy.
- Prepare, distribute, and submit syllabi for all assigned sections in accordance with college and university policies. Syllabi must list key student learning outcomes, provide a breakdown of course content, and specify valid assessment devices and breakdown of grading.
- Evaluate and return student work in a timely manner and maintain accurate records of student attendance and progress.
- Submit intermediate (census date reporting), mid-term and final grade rosters according to established deadlines.
- Maintain professionalism and confidentiality in regard to student interactions and information.
- Maintain posted office hours in accordance with departmental and college policies and procedures.
- Attend some workshops/seminars dealing with instructional or faculty development topics, each semester.
- Comply with all university and academic area policies.
- Submit completed course assessment forms (with documented student-learning evidence) at the end of each semester.
- Stay current with professional knowledge and technological underpinnings in the field.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated commitment to improving student learning and to help students succeed at the course and program level. Proficiency in synchronous and asynchronous modes of virtual instruction is a must.
- Effective oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills with the capacity to work successfully in a culturally diverse college community.
- Demonstrated skills (at least 1 year experience) in using modern educational technology, including multimedia-based instructional methods, and use of online platforms (WU uses Canvas) for synchronous and asynchronous instruction. Must have demonstrated knowledge of Excel and common software packages specific to the discipline being taught.
- Must be a team player, working with the Dean and other faculty in the discipline/area/college.
- Master’s or PhD in the Teaching area/discipline from an accredited institution of higher learning is preferred. Candidates with an accredited master’s degree in the teaching area, along with significant teaching experience as well as relevant professional work experience may also be considered.
- Evidence of successful teaching, full-time, for at least two full years, including at least a year’s experience with teaching completely online, is required.
How to Apply:
Submit a detailed CV (including contact information for three references) and a Statement of Teaching Philosophy to: email@example.com and copy Dr. Brandon Owens, Sr. firstname.lastname@example.org In your CV, please include a list of courses taught and the Institutions at which the teaching occurred. Please also specify your experience with face-to-face, hybrid and online teaching. Official transcripts for all post-secondary degrees and successful completion of a background check (including reference checks) will be required prior to the date of hire.
Founded in 1856, Wilberforce University is America’s first private, coeducational University established to educated men and women of African descent; and is closely affiliated with the African Methodist Episcopal Church. Today, Wilberforce is a well-respected private, residential liberal arts university with a clear mission, core values and vision for the future and is a noted pioneer in the Co-Operative Education Movement.
Wilberforce awards the Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees in the areas of business, engineering and computing science, humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences; as well as the Master of Rehabilitation Counseling degree. The University is located in Wilberforce, Ohio, a community readily accessible to the Dayton, Cincinnati and Columbus metropolitan centers’ social, professional and cultural amenities and airports.
Wilberforce University is an Equal Opportunity Employer
How to Apply:
To apply for the Assistant Professor of Psychology position, use the “Quick Apply/Submit Resume” button below to submit your information, cover letter and resume to the Wilberforce University Department of Administration and Human Resources.