Chief of Police
Wilberforce University is looking for exceptional people who will share our vision and core values. People who know that working in higher education is more than a job. The University serves a diverse group of administrators, faculty, and students — from area residents to visiting dignitaries. To provide safety and security services, protecting the President, personnel and property by enforcing the laws and policies of the State of Ohio and Wilberforce University.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The following are duties and responsibilities each applicaant should have to be successful:
- Familiar with alarm systems, and communication equipment, dispatching staff as needed.
- Understand and implement university access control procedures at entrances.
- Respond to emergency calls, make initial assessments of situations using tact, diplomacy and judgment.
- Be able to defuse and resolve violent and potentially dangerous situations.
- Provide security and protection to university, visitors, staff and students by patrolling all campus areas.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Requirements all applicants must be able to do or possess:
- Work flexible hours
- Submit to and pass a drug test
- Submit to a background check
- Prior police/security experience utilizing Community Policing Philosophies
- Ability to speak and communicate effectively and in a professional manner
- Applicant must have successfully completed the Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy Certification Training- OPOTA
In addition to OPOTA certification, all applicants:
- Must have a Valid Ohio Driver’s License
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Must have a high School diploma or passed the equivalency exam
Founded in 1856, Wilberforce University is America’s first private, coeducational University established to educated men and women of African descent; and is closely affiliated with the African Methodist Episcopal Church. Today, Wilberforce is a well-respected private, residential liberal arts university with a clear mission, core values and vision for the future and is a noted pioneer in the Co-Operative Education Movement.
Wilberforce awards the Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees in the areas of business, engineering and computing science, humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences; as well as the Master of Rehabilitation Counseling degree. The University is located in Wilberforce, Ohio, a community readily accessible to the Dayton, Cincinnati and Columbus metropolitan centers’ social, professional and cultural amenities and airports.
Wilberforce University is an Equal Opportunity Employer
How to Apply:
To apply for the Campus Police Officer position, use the “Quick Apply/Submit Resume” button below to submit your information, cover letter and resume to the Wilberforce University Department of Administration and Human Resources.