The Career Coach will be responsible and accountable for the overall career exploration, professional development, and career placement of Wilberforce University students.
General Description of Position:
Responsible for the direction, development, implementation, and evaluation of centralized career planning and services; including EEO compliance, adherence to affirmative action principles and provide assistance to students in obtaining employment by making job search training and employment opportunities available with comparable services available to employers. Also provides internal project management coordination with academic and student service departments
for students in cohort groups. If necessary, provides leadership and supervision to full time and student employees.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
• Master’s degree in a related field, higher education administration, public administration, counseling and/or personnel relations.
• Minimum of 10 years of higher education experience in student leadership development and cooperative education and career planning and services management or equivalent private sector experience (i.e. corporate recruiting and training and development).
• Experience using online learning management systems (Canvas)
• Experience working with students from diverse academic backgrounds and life experiences
• Knowledge of cooperative education and career planning and services placement
principles, procedures, and resources inclusive of resume writing, interview coaching, job search techniques
• Ability to set and achieve outcomes based performance goals
• Excellent customer service skills
• Ability to manage multiple projects; strong planning and organizational skills.
• Strong analytical skills
• Ability to maintain confidentiality of records and information.
• Business development skills
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Desired Education, Skills, and Experience: Three-Five years of business or corporate industry experience, or professional experience in student affairs/ student life. Must be proficient in using Word, Excel, Banner, and PowerPoint. Excellent verbal and written communication skills required with ability to effectively interact and communicate with all levels within the organization. Ability to be discreet in handling confidential and proprietary information appropriately. Proven track
record of reliability, responsibility and integrity. Strong problem solving skills. Must be able to effectively operate in a fast-paced environment and have the ability to work independent of direct supervision. Strong organizational and planning skills and ability to be detail-oriented.
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field, higher education administration, public administration, counseling and/or personnel relations.
• Minimum of 3 years of higher education or workforce experience. Will build relationships with various industry organizations and leaders.
• Versed in MS Word, Excel; Database management
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
Founded in 1856, Wilberforce University is America’s first private, coeducational University established to educated men and women of African descent; and is closely affiliated with the African Methodist Episcopal Church. Today, Wilberforce is a well-respected private, residential liberal arts university with a clear mission, core values and vision for the future and is a noted pioneer in the Co-Operative Education Movement.
Wilberforce awards the Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees in the areas of business, engineering and computing science, humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences; as well as the Master of Rehabilitation Counseling degree. The University is located in Wilberforce, Ohio, a community readily accessible to the Dayton, Cincinnati and Columbus metropolitan centers’ social, professional and cultural amenities and airports.
Wilberforce University is an Equal Opportunity Employer
How to Apply:
To apply for the Career Coach position, use the “Quick Apply/Submit Resume” button below to submit your information, cover letter and resume to the Wilberforce University Department of Administration and Human Resources.