The Controller supervises all of the accounting and cash functions and systems of the University, ensures the development, implementation, and monitoring of appropriate internal controls, and serves as functional owner of the system finance module. The Controller ensures that the institution’s accounting practices satisfy the highest ethical requirements, as must his or her own behavior.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Plans and directs the University’s fiscal function;
- Evaluates the effectiveness of internal controls at the University and implements changes in consultation with the CFO;
- Coordinates all external audits of the University;
- Prepares financial statements and footnotes for auditors and other interested parties;
- Manages financial accounting and reporting for the University;
- Evaluates the impact of proposed regulatory action or changes to accounting standards;
- Provides timely and accurate analysis of financial reports;
- Enhances and/or develops, implements, and enforces policies and procedures by way of systems and processes that will improve overall operations, efficiency and effectiveness;
- Leads efforts to reconcile and manage University Endowments.
- Supervises and reviews the reconciliation of University bank accounts, investment accounts, and other balance sheet activity;
- Evaluates office structure and team to help ensure continual improvement;
- Develops and implements procedures to manage the University cash flow.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or a related field; Master’s Preferred;
- Five (5) years’ experience in fiscal affairs at a university;
- Extensive knowledge, training, and experience of accounting and auditing standards and regulations;
- Skill in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures;
- Ability to use software employed to quantify and illustrate complex financial reports;
- Ability to establish, direct, and enforce financial control systems, policies, and procedures; Ability to gather data, analyze and compile information, and prepare reports;
- Ability to effectively communicate and collaborate with a wide range of constituents;
- Ability to select, manage, develop, and empower the people who are part of the Director of Business and Finance’s Office team; Leadership ability within a diverse environment.
Founded in 1856, Wilberforce University is America’s first private, coeducational University established to educated men and women of African descent; and is closely affiliated with the African Methodist Episcopal Church. Today, Wilberforce is a well-respected private, residential liberal arts university with a clear mission, core values and vision for the future and is a noted pioneer in the Co-Operative Education Movement.
Wilberforce awards the Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees in the areas of business, engineering and computing science, humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences; as well as the Master of Rehabilitation Counseling degree. The University is located in Wilberforce, Ohio, a community readily accessible to the Dayton, Cincinnati and Columbus metropolitan centers’ social, professional and cultural amenities and airports.
Wilberforce University is an Equal Opportunity Employer
How to Apply:
To apply for the Controller position, use the “Quick Apply/Submit Resume” button below to submit your information, cover letter and resume to the Wilberforce University Department of Administration and Human Resources.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org