Chief Operating Officer
Wilberforce University’s Division of Business and Finance is seeking a Director of Accounting who possesses strong knowledge of U.S. GAAP, internal controls, audit, and financial reporting.
This position is responsible for producing enterprise level consolidated and supplemental financial statements on a monthly and quarterly basis which includes variance analysis, trend reports, and executive summaries.
The Director of Accounting oversees and directs day to day operations of the University’ Business office and ensures the delivery of high-quality services is consistent with the operational needs and strategic initiatives of the University.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Prepares annual GAAP consolidated financial statements for the interim and annual financial statement audits.
- Oversees accounting and financial reporting functions which include inter-company accounting, review and preparation of financial statement closing journal entries, account reconciliations, and variance analytics.
- Plans and implements FASB Accounting Standard updates.
- Oversees the implementation of agreed upon recommendations resulting from internal and external audit findings. Reviews financial information provided on various external financial surveys and reporting updates for rating agencies.
- Advises staff and management regarding the handling of non-routine reporting transactions, such as acquisitions and dispositions or establishment of new financial reporting entities.
- Participates in and/or leads departmental and cross-functional teams in the development and implementation of new procedures and features to enhance and support overall department goals and objectives. Collaborates on financial system upgrades, performance metrics, departmental goals and other initiatives in the Finance and Business Division
- Work with independent external accounting firm preparing the annual federal Form 990 and provide necessary information for the reporting
- Ensures an accurate and timely monthly, quarterly, and year end close. Ensures the timely reporting of all monthly financial information.
- Is accountable for ensuring that policies and procedures (internal controls) are in place to provide reasonable assurance that the institutional assets are protected.
- Ensures that the institution’s financial records, under area of responsibility, are maintained in compliance with policies and US GAAP.
- Coordinates all external audits of the University.
- Prepares financial statements and footnotes for auditors and other interested parties.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or a related field; Master’s Preferred.
- Five (5) years’ experiences in fiscal affairs at a university; or related field
- Extensive knowledge, training, and experience of accounting and auditing standards and regulations.
- Ability to use software employed to quantify and illustrate complex financial reports.
- Ability to effectively communicate and collaborate with a wide range of constituents.
- Ability to select, manage, develop, and empower the people who are part of the Director of Business and Finance’s Office team, Leadership ability within a diverse environment.
- Must be able to manage multiple projects and adhere to strict deadlines
Founded in 1856, Wilberforce University is America’s first private, coeducational University established to educated men and women of African descent; and is closely affiliated with the African Methodist Episcopal Church. Today, Wilberforce is a well-respected private, residential liberal arts university with a clear mission, core values and vision for the future and is a noted pioneer in the Co-Operative Education Movement.
Wilberforce awards the Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees in the areas of business, engineering and computing science, humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences; as well as the Master of Rehabilitation Counseling degree. The University is located in Wilberforce, Ohio, a community readily accessible to the Dayton, Cincinnati and Columbus metropolitan centers’ social, professional and cultural amenities and airports.
Wilberforce University is an Equal Opportunity Employer
How to Apply:
To apply for the Director of Accounting position, use the “Quick Apply/Submit Resume” button below to submit your information, cover letter and resume to the Wilberforce University Department of Administration and Human Resources.