The Director of Library Services develops and maintains the Information Commons of the Stokes Library and Media Services in concert with the mission of Wilberforce University and appropriate to users associated with both the traditional campus-based undergraduate and graduate programs and the non-traditional CIMB programs located on and off campus. The Information Commons encompasses the Stokes Library, which provides an informal space for access to academic research and topics of general interest through the convergence of print, emerging technologies, and various art forms such as drama, dance, and music. The Director of Information Commons is responsible for providing leadership, supervision, and hands-on participation in all Library development and programming.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Extensive experience using OhioLINK (Ohio Library and Information Link)
- Experience in managing the library’s circulation services, performing functions within the and other technical resources
- Extensive experience assisting faculty, students, and staff in-person and remotely to use the Library resources
- Excellent presentation, interpersonal, and written communication skills
- Experience supervising library staff and Work Study Students
- Must be skilled in library and media services operations that consist of strategic planning, development, and promotion of resources and services, information literacy, and library instruction program
- Capacity to develop both the cultural role of the Information Commons in the campus community and the services that contribute to a successful experience for users in Wilberforce University’s physical and online libraries
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Extensive experience using Microsoft products, conferencing software, and other University office equipment
- Ability to lead the Commons’ efforts to develop and maintain a strong, varied, responsive, and changing program of services to users
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Well-versed in current trends and emerging technologies in the delivery of information services
- Experienced with library computer applications, including integrated library systems and audiovisual materials and services, and working knowledge of digital scanning, video streaming, broadcasting, etc.
- Able to create and develop a web-based library and special collection presence and resources is also desirable
- Master of Library Science (MLS, MIS) from an accredited program, or related degree preferred, will consider a bachelor’s degree in a Communication or Technical discipline with at least five years of experience in successful co-curricular programming using emerging technologies.
Founded in 1856, Wilberforce University is America’s first private, coeducational University established to educated men and women of African descent; and is closely affiliated with the African Methodist Episcopal Church. Today, Wilberforce is a well-respected private, residential liberal arts university with a clear mission, core values and vision for the future and is a noted pioneer in the Co-Operative Education Movement.
Wilberforce awards the Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees in the areas of business, engineering and computing science, humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences; as well as the Master of Rehabilitation Counseling degree. The University is located in Wilberforce, Ohio, a community readily accessible to the Dayton, Cincinnati and Columbus metropolitan centers’ social, professional and cultural amenities and airports.
Wilberforce University is an Equal Opportunity Employer
How to Apply:
To apply for the Director of Library Services position, use the “Quick Apply/Submit Resume” button below to submit your information, cover letter and resume to the Wilberforce University Department of Administration and Human Resources.