Wilberforce University is accepting applications for a dynamic and experienced higher education administrator to serve as Director of the Center for Academic Student Services and Success (CASSS). The Director is responsible for managing and accessing all program/activities within the student support network which includes academic support services, freshmen and sophomore advising, the academic early alert system, disability services, the tutorial assistance program, mentoring, student counseling, study abroad, and the Scholars program.
The Director of CASSS must have considerable management and supervisory skills and will report to the Vice President of Enrollment Management. It is critical that the Director have a working knowledge of best practices in student retention and the need for continuous improvement.
Under administrative direction, is responsible for managing and implementing university retention programs in collaboration with various college units designed to enroll, retain, and graduate students.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Develops and coordinates university retention programs; budgeting, hiring, and staff development; collaborates with academic and student service departments in support of the successful transition of undergraduate students into the University community.
- Significant data collection and analysis.
- Preparation of reports.
- Represents the University in public appearances and in local and national organizations.
- Develops professional relationships focused on student access and retention.
- Assists with the development and implementation of retention plans and policies.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of student development theory, best practices in minority student retention, ADA, budget processes. Management/planning skills, interpersonal/human relations skills, supervisory skills. Ability to initiate and maintain professional relationships and ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a wide range of people and commitment to diversity.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and efficiently to solve problems, initiate and implement projects.
- Skilled in effective written and verbal communication as well as public presentations.
- Experience with and sensitivity to diverse populations.
- Ability to travel and work a varied schedule with flexible hours.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Access, and Excel.
- Strong Customer Service and Customer Care Skills.
- Maintain a positive attitude that will promote a healthy collaborative campus climate.
- Bachelor’s degree; supplemented with three to five (3-5) years of related experience in higher education.
- Strongly preferred qualifications include a master’s degree in appropriate discipline (e.g., education, psychology, higher education administration).
- Knowledge of BANNER.
- 5 years of progressive responsibility in advising and retention.
- A solid background in strategic planning, proven management, communication (oral and written) and presentation skills required.
- Ability to work collaboratively with various constituencies to meet retention goals and prior experience working with student advising and first year transition programs and students with disabilities.
Founded in 1856, Wilberforce University is America’s first private, coeducational University established to educated men and women of African descent; and is closely affiliated with the African Methodist Episcopal Church. Today, Wilberforce is a well-respected private, residential liberal arts university with a clear mission, core values and vision for the future and is a noted pioneer in the Co-Operative Education Movement.
Wilberforce awards the Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees in the areas of business, engineering and computing science, humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences; as well as the Master of Rehabilitation Counseling degree. The University is located in Wilberforce, Ohio, a community readily accessible to the Dayton, Cincinnati and Columbus metropolitan centers’ social, professional and cultural amenities and airports.
Wilberforce University is an Equal Opportunity Employer
How to Apply:
To apply for the Director of the Center for Academic Student Services and Success position, use the “Quick Apply/Submit Resume” button below to submit your information, cover letter and resume to the Wilberforce University Department of Administration and Human Resources.