Wilberforce University athletic department has a mission of developing excellence in academics and athletics. We desire coaches/leaders, who will serve as role models, mentors in speech and in conduct; challenging our student athletes to grow spiritually, academically, athletically, and professionally. In addition to abiding by rules and regulations established by Wilberforce University and the NAIA (National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics).
POSITION DESCRIPTION: Wilberforce University is seeking a Head Coach for the dual role of Men’s Basketball/Cross Country Team. As a NAIA Program, the Head Coach handles all aspects of the Men’s basketball and cross-country programs, including initial eligibility, recruiting, game scheduling, budget management, and academic monitoring. The Head Men’s basketball coach/cross country attends all mandatory conference meetings, completes reporting, and implements strategic planning for the men’s team as it relates to expanding the program and identifying re- sources. Candidate must possess a proven track record, organizational skills, high integrity, commitment to excellence, loyalty and a strong work ethic. The candidate should have the ability to communicate effectively; ability to perform duties in a professional manner and appearance; experience in the sport being coached; ability to work with a wide range of people; and an understanding of Wilberforce University, NAIA rules and regulations.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Oversee all aspects of game day management all home basketball competitions.
- Serve as facility supervisor and event coordinator for all gymnasium activities.
- Develop and execute a strategy for building regionally and nationally competitive teams.
- Oversee the plan for season, including competitive schedule and practices, i.e., facilities, officials, practice schedule, supervise travel arrangement for away competition and strategize for subsequent contests.
- Oversee and facilitate initial eligibility incoherence with NAIA rules and regulations.
- Develop and facilitate training and conditioning program; organize all practice sessions to enhance team performance.
- Conceive, implement, and supervise a strategy to recruit qualified student athletes.
- Hire, train, supervise, and evaluate volunteer coaches, team manager, and other staff as assigned.
- Management of team budgets within athletics and award scholarships.
- Serve as an ambassador for the Men’s Basketball Program and the University’s Athletic Program through articulation of their missions, public speaking to promote basketball in the state, region, and nation, and communicate with media, alumni, and friends of the University.
- Assist in the development of strategies to increase visibility and attendance at home and away events.
- Work with athletic director to raise funds through camps and/or clinics to support the Men’s Basketball Program.
- Sport applications; contribute and participate in professional organizations; serve on committees and attend clinics, conventions, and other meetings.
- Participate in institutional professional development and training.
- Perform related duties as assigned by Athletic Director
- Ability to perform duties in a professional manner and appearance.
- Highly organized.
- Understanding of Wilberforce University and NAIA II rules and regulations.
- Ability to build a program.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s Degree preferred with 2-5 years of intercollegiate experience, plus additional coaching experience.
Founded in 1856, Wilberforce University is America’s first private, coeducational University established to educated men and women of African descent; and is closely affiliated with the African Methodist Episcopal Church. Today, Wilberforce is a well-respected private, residential liberal arts university with a clear mission, core values and vision for the future and is a noted pioneer in the Co-Operative Education Movement.
Wilberforce awards the Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees in the areas of business, engineering and computing science, humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences; as well as the Master of Rehabilitation Counseling degree. The University is located in Wilberforce, Ohio, a community readily accessible to the Dayton, Cincinnati and Columbus metropolitan centers’ social, professional and cultural amenities and airports.
Wilberforce University is an Equal Opportunity Employer
How to Apply:
To apply for the Head Coach for Men’s Basketball / Women’s Cross Country position, use the “Quick Apply/Submit Resume” button below to submit your information, cover letter and resume to the Wilberforce University Department of Administration and Human Resources.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org