Wilberforce University is accepting applications for the IT Support Technician position that is responsible for supporting the desktop, Lab server and Academic networking environment as well as related technology systems as needed including Inventory Control. The IT Support Technician is responsible for delivering high quality customer service and support to faculty and staff users.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
In addition to desktop and server support, the successful candidate should have the ability and desire to provide the following communications and networking support:
- Serve as the IT point of contact accountable for the IT portion of new office setups, office expansions, office relocations, etc. Utilize Help Desk and tracking software and generate reports. Acts as the primary point of communication between IT and operations staff.
- Supervise and maintain all Academic Lab areas and University systems including hardware, software, configuration, updates, peripherals, and more to minimize or potentially eliminate actual and potential down time.
- Prepare computers for new hires; provide exceptional customer service experiences to end user community in all work-related areas.
- Coordinate and communicate all LAN / WAN issues that directly affect the efficiency and reliability of the University network as well as any other activities, strategies, and projects as required.
- Ability to assist support groups with switching and routing technologies, installations and troubleshooting.
- Develop and maintain new skills to accomplish duties and support the University community’s technologies as they evolve and grow;
- Cabling support, troubleshooting including copper, fiber optic and other infrastructure related skills.
- Perform other job-related duties as necessary.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Good verbal and written communications skills; highly reliable and well organized.
- Capable of balancing high priority support requests with projects and maintaining priorities.
- A self-starter, capable of successfully achieving support goals while unsupervised.
- Ability to work in a team environment and be a team player, especially during time sensitive tasks/projects which may require overtime to successfully complete the job.
- Excellent customer service skills are required.
- Ability to lift 30 to 50 pounds on a regular basis.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, Electrical Engineering or other STEM program preferred; in lieu of degree equivalent work experience will be considered.
- A+ certification and Microsoft certifications are a plus; 2 or more years of related work experience in desktop support.
- Experience in managing and administering TCP/IP Data network systems, Help Desk Services or MS SQL programming.
- Extensive knowledge of computer network system protocols. Good knowledge of standard computer languages, including UNIX; expert level knowledge of Microsoft Windows, current and legacy MS productivity suites, desktop and server OSs.
- Linux or Red hat.
Founded in 1856, Wilberforce University is America’s first private, coeducational University established to educated men and women of African descent; and is closely affiliated with the African Methodist Episcopal Church. Today, Wilberforce is a well-respected private, residential liberal arts university with a clear mission, core values and vision for the future and is a noted pioneer in the Co-Operative Education Movement.
Wilberforce awards the Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees in the areas of business, engineering and computing science, humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences; as well as the Master of Rehabilitation Counseling degree. The University is located in Wilberforce, Ohio, a community readily accessible to the Dayton, Cincinnati and Columbus metropolitan centers’ social, professional and cultural amenities and airports.
Wilberforce University is an Equal Opportunity Employer
How to Apply:
To apply for the IT Support Technician position, use the “Quick Apply/Submit Resume” button below to submit your information, cover letter and resume to the Wilberforce University Department of Administration and Human Resources.