Wilberforce University is a small, Liberal Arts University with an Entrepreneurial focus, with a legacy of being the nation’s first private HBCU. Faculty are expected to fulfill the mission and core values of the university with dedication, compliance with all university and academic area policies, an entrepreneurial spirit, and a commitment to the success of the students and the university. Broad responsibilities include teaching, research and grant writing, and service to the community. Demonstrate instructional proficiency teaching in various modalities (in-person, hybrid, virtual, or online). Preferred candidates that reside within a commutable distance (greater Dayton, Cincinnati, Columbus area).
The College of Professional Studies at Wilberforce University, Ohio offers undergraduate degrees in Business (Accounting, Management, Marketing); Engineering and Computing (Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering); and Life/Health Sciences (Biology and Health Services Administration). The College of Professional Studies is seeking multiple Assistant Professor tenure-track positions for the 2021-2022 academic year for
- Health Services Administration
- Quantitative Business Analytics
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Teach 12 credit hours per semester, depending on enrollment pipelines, and department/area needs. Should be able to teach a spectrum of courses in the specific field of study.
- Plan, organize, and communicate instruction in ways which effectively encourage and stimulate student learning.
- Employ appropriate teaching and learning strategies and use instructional technology in line with the needs of the course and discipline.
- Serve as an Academic Advisor to students
- Support classroom and online (Canvas) efforts, and work with other relevant units of the university to facilitate and promote student success. Proficiency in synchronous and asynchronous modes of virtual instruction is a must.
- Prepare, distribute, and submit syllabi for all assigned sections in accordance with college and university policies. Syllabi must list key student learning outcomes, provide a breakdown of course content, and specify valid assessment devices and breakdown of grades.
- Evaluate and return student work in a timely manner and maintain accurate records of student attendance and progress.
- Submit intermediate (census date reporting), mid-term and final grade rosters according to established deadlines.
- Maintain professionalism and confidentiality in regard to student interactions and information.
- Maintain departmental office hours in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement, and departmental and college policies and procedures.
- Attend all faculty and college meetings and institutes. Attend workshops/seminars dealing with instructional or faculty development topics, each semester.
- Assist with Student Orientation, Student Preview days, Majors Fair, and other events requiring faculty participation.
- Submit completed course assessment forms (with documented student-learning evidence) at the end of each semester. Work with area faculty on program assessment and curricular enhancements. Write reports and help with data analysis as needed.
- Stay current with professional knowledge and technological underpinnings in the field.
- Work with other area faculty and with admissions, to help grow the program and increase student enrollment.
- Work with other area faculty, the Co-op office, and employer networks to facilitate relevant internships and graduate school opportunities for students.
- PhD in in the specific field of study (Accounting, Management, Marketing); Engineering and Computing (Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering); and Life/Health Sciences (Biology and Health Services Administration) from an accredited institution of higher learning is preferred. Candidates with an accredited Master’s degree with significant teaching experience as well as relevant professional work experience and/or Professional Certification (CPA) will also be considered.
- Evidence of successful teaching, full-time for at least two full years, including at least a year’s experience with teaching completely online, is required.
- Demonstrated commitment to improve student learning and to help students succeed at the course and program level. Proficiency in synchronous and asynchronous modes of virtual instruction is a must.
- Effective oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills with the capacity to work successfully in a culturally diverse college community.
- Demonstrated skills (at least 1 year experience) in using modern educational technology, including multimedia-based instructional methods, and use of online platforms (WU uses Canvas) for synchronous and asynchronous instruction. Must have demonstrated knowledge of, and instructional capability in, relevant accounting and statistical software packages.
- Must be a team player, working with the Dean and other faculty in the discipline/area/college.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct (present and publish) scholarly research, and to write grants.
Submit a detailed CV (including contact information for three references) and a Statement of Teaching Philosophy to firstname.lastname@example.org and a copy to Dean Owusu-Nyamekye Dwobeng at Odwobengo@wilberforce.edu, June 30, 2021. Official transcripts for all post-secondary degrees and successful completion of a background check (including reference checks) will be required prior to the date of hire.
Founded in 1856, Wilberforce University is America’s first private, coeducational University established to educated men and women of African descent; and is closely affiliated with the African Methodist Episcopal Church. Today, Wilberforce is a well-respected private, residential liberal arts university with a clear mission, core values and vision for the future and is a noted pioneer in the Co-Operative Education Movement.
Wilberforce awards the Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees in the areas of business, engineering and computing science, humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences; as well as the Master of Rehabilitation Counseling degree. The University is located in Wilberforce, Ohio, a community readily accessible to the Dayton, Cincinnati and Columbus metropolitan centers’ social, professional and cultural amenities and airports.
Wilberforce University is an Equal Opportunity Employer
How to Apply:
To apply for the Multiple Tenure Track Assistant Professor Positions in the College of Professional Studies position, use the “Quick Apply/Submit Resume” button below to submit your information, cover letter and resume to the Wilberforce University Department of Administration and Human Resources.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com