Performs duties and otherwise assists in the care and maintenance of buildings at assigned locations.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- *Performs miscellaneous maintenance and minor repair duties on buildings and equipment.
- *Works under the direction of Maintenance Mechanic(s) on large projects as required.
- *Repairs dry wall and masonite surfaces, broken windows, leaking valves, electrical sockets and switches, sink traps, leaking faucets, steam leaks, and toilets.
- Installs bathroom fixtures.
- Replaces floor tiles, incandescent and fluorescent lamps.
- Paints walls, woodwork, furniture and equipment.
- Performs custodial work.
- Meets all job safety requirements and all applicable OSHA safety standards that pertain to the essential functions of the position.
- Demonstrates regular attendance.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- denotes Essential Function
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- High School diploma or GED.
- Two (2) years of work experience in a building maintenance environment as a commercial/industrial Maintenance Mechanic – OR – a completed vocational or apprenticeship program.
- Ability to perform elementary work in the areas of plumbing, carpentry, painting and welding.
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and written
- Ability to properly use related equipment.
- Ability to read and follow detailed work and safety instructions.
- Ability to work independently.
- Skills in keyboarding, basic math and grammar, and basic or standard word processing (MS Word) and/or spreadsheet applications (MS Excel).
- Proficiency with an email software package (MS Outlook) and the Internet.
- Valid Ohio driver’s license.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must have sensitivity to respond appropriately to the needs of a diverse population.
- Associate’s degree in a job-related field.
- Experience with electronic work order system.
- Understanding/experience with quality programs and initiatives.
- Trade licensure or certification.
- LTO (Lift-Truck-Operator) license.
- Ability to perform work in welding.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Must be able to occasionally sit, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, taste and smell. Must be able to regularly stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. Must be able to frequently use hands to finger, handle or feel. Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds without assistance. No special vision required. Must be able to occasionally work in wet or humid conditions, work in high precarious places, work with fumes or airborne particles, toxics or caustic chemicals, work in outdoor weather conditions, work in extreme cold (non-weather) and work with risk of electrical shock, radiation, vibration and bio-hazards. Must be able to regularly work near moving mechanical parts. Must be able to work in an environment with a moderate noise level.
Disclaimer: This description is a general statement of required major duties and responsibilities performed on a regular and continuous basis. It does not exclude other duties as assigned and does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
Founded in 1856, Wilberforce University is America’s first private, coeducational University established to educated men and women of African descent; and is closely affiliated with the African Methodist Episcopal Church. Today, Wilberforce is a well-respected private, residential liberal arts university with a clear mission, core values and vision for the future and is a noted pioneer in the Co-Operative Education Movement.
Wilberforce awards the Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees in the areas of business, engineering and computing science, humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences; as well as the Master of Rehabilitation Counseling degree. The University is located in Wilberforce, Ohio, a community readily accessible to the Dayton, Cincinnati and Columbus metropolitan centers’ social, professional and cultural amenities and airports.
Wilberforce University is an Equal Opportunity Employer
How to Apply:
To apply for the Physical Plant Maintenance position, use the “Quick Apply/Submit Resume” button below to submit your information, cover letter and resume to the Wilberforce University Department of Administration and Human Resources.