Reporting to the Director of Library Services, the Research & Instruction Librarian/Archivist provides the full range of in-person and online reference and instruction services to students at the University. The preferred candidate will develop and lead information literacy classes for all disciplines at the University. This is a 12-month, position without academic rank.
Wilberforce University is a comprehensive university with a long tradition of academic excellence dating back to 1856, as well as an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks to reflect the diversity of its community. Our workforce is dedicated to academic quality, student-centered programming, engaged citizenship, open exchanges of ideas, diversity and inclusiveness, and civility and integrity. We are looking for job applicants who share these values and commitment to our students.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Teaches information literacy classes and workshops at all levels and disciplines in-person and online.
- Creates and maintains research guides for courses and disciplines.
- Serves as liaison to one or more departments, building relationships with faculty, staff, and students.
- Works some evening and weekend schedules on a rotating basis.
- Participates in library and university committees, as well as local, statewide, and/or national professional activities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Management retains the right to add or change job duties at any time.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Instruction and reference experience in an academic, large public, or research library.
- Strong cultural awareness and demonstrated commitment to supporting diversity, equity, inclusion, belonging, and accessibility.
- Ability to communicate effectively and constructively with colleagues, supervisors, and other staff within and outside the Department.
- Ability to work both independently as well as collegially and productively in a team environment.
- History of, or strong potential for scholarly, creative, or professional work appropriate to a tenure track position in the library.
- A Master’s Degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited library school.
- A minimum of one (1) year of professional academic library experience.
Founded in 1856, Wilberforce University is America’s first private, coeducational University established to educated men and women of African descent; and is closely affiliated with the African Methodist Episcopal Church. Today, Wilberforce is a well-respected private, residential liberal arts university with a clear mission, core values and vision for the future and is a noted pioneer in the Co-Operative Education Movement.
Wilberforce awards the Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees in the areas of business, engineering and computing science, humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences; as well as the Master of Rehabilitation Counseling degree. The University is located in Wilberforce, Ohio, a community readily accessible to the Dayton, Cincinnati and Columbus metropolitan centers’ social, professional and cultural amenities and airports.
Wilberforce University is an Equal Opportunity Employer
How to Apply:
To apply for the Research & Instruction Librarian/Archivist position, use the “Quick Apply/Submit Resume” button below to submit your information, cover letter and resume to the Wilberforce University Department of Administration and Human Resources.