Anticipated July 2021
The Resident Director of Henderson Hall is a student success-focused position. This position is a
member of the University Residence Life Team which is positioned in the Division of Student
Engagement. This is a 10-month, full-time, live-on position. The position is responsible for
oversight of the residence hall and creating a learning community that link classroom learning with
on-campus living programmatic support. This position plays a critical role in the planning,
development, and assessment of the living and learning communities.
This position implements the vision of the University through Housing /Residence Life.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Day to Day Duties:
- 10-month, full-time, live-on position that is responsible for day-to-day oversight of the
residence hall- Henderson
- Supervise Henderson Hall Community Assistants to ensure a residence hall that
facilitates respect, inclusivity, and collaboration
- Collaborate with First Year Transition Leaders to support classroom and student
- Serves Henderson Hall
- Residents by ensuring the safety and security protocol and procedures are implemented
- Establish and oversee community standards for Henderson Hall
- Participate in On-Call Rotation and respond to hall related issues and crisis (ex. fire
alarms, safety checks, health and wellness checks)
- Oversee hall governance and student programming for all Henderson Hall residents
- Serve as a visible presence for students in the residence halls
- Assist students during crisis through interventions and support
- Facilitate resolutions in roommate conflict, personal situations, and low-level student
- Develop a knowledge of campus and community resources to ensure timely responses
and referrals (counseling, health, crisis response, financial aid, etc.)
- Work with Facilities to maintain and manage physical plant
- Identify and implement best practices for living communities
- Assist Director of Residence Life in maintaining room assignments, key/entry
assignments, front desk supervision
- Direct concerns and inquiries to the Lead Resident Director and/or Director of Residence
Life regarding building furniture, staffing, safety, housekeeping, and health
Other Responsibilities and Expectations:
- Promote academic excellence in and outside the classroom, and promote the college
mission and Wilberforce Renaissance.
- Participate in professional development and associations.
- Generally be available to staff and students at irregular hours and respond to crisis and
- Assume responsibility for coordinating crisis response actions for residence life (i.e.
campus emergencies, suicide, deaths, injuries, etc.).
- Partner with departments, including the Division of Student Engagement and Success, to
advance departmental functions, programs, and events, and to advance the College
purpose and mission.
- Assume responsibility to advance and develop additional programs and duties, necessary
for the implementation of Student Engagement and Success and institutional strategic
- Assume other responsibilities as assigned.
Founded in 1856, Wilberforce University is America’s first private, coeducational University established to educated men and women of African descent; and is closely affiliated with the African Methodist Episcopal Church. Today, Wilberforce is a well-respected private, residential liberal arts university with a clear mission, core values and vision for the future and is a noted pioneer in the Co-Operative Education Movement.
Wilberforce awards the Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees in the areas of business, engineering and computing science, humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences; as well as the Master of Rehabilitation Counseling degree. The University is located in Wilberforce, Ohio, a community readily accessible to the Dayton, Cincinnati and Columbus metropolitan centers’ social, professional and cultural amenities and airports.
Wilberforce University is an Equal Opportunity Employer
How to Apply:
To apply for the Residence Director – Henderson Hall position, use the “Quick Apply/Submit Resume” button below to submit your information, cover letter and resume to the Wilberforce University Department of Administration and Human Resources.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org