Under the direction of the Chief of Police and/or the Officer in Charge (OIC), provide a safe and secure environment for the University Community and all of its members. Provides a variety of services which enhance the quality of life on campus. Maintains satisfactory working relationships with peers, supervisors, students, faculty, staff, local police and general public.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Enforces State, Local and University Rules and Regulations:
- Responds to calls and complete investigations reporting same on an incident
- Provides aggressive foot and vehicle patrol, paying particular attention to
unlawful, unsafe or suspicious activity.
- Challenges suspicious person and notify the appropriate staff;
- Appears in court as needed.
- Proper parking rules.
2. Participates in the professional development of the University and Department:
- Participates in staff meetings as requested.
- Promotes an image of efficiency and courtesy throughout the university
- Participates in departmental training.
3. Performs related duties as required or assigned.
4. This job description is not intended to be all inclusive and the employee will also perform
other reasonably related business duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor and other
management as required such as:
- Vehicle assistance, i.e., jump starts, unlock/lock office doors, monitor residence
life activity, conduct security check throughout the campus, and monitor activities
at special events.
Knowledge and skills at a level normally acquired through the completion of a High School
education or equivalency, and at least five years’ prior law enforcement experience or three
years of related experience and an associate’s degree in criminal justice:
- Valid Ohio motor vehicle operator’s license.
- Ability to use related office equipment, including PC monitor, keyboard and
printer, telephone, copier, fax, and calculator.
- Willingness to work any shift to include weekends and holidays.
- Ability to handle prolonged exposure to climatic weather.
- Ability to confront a variety of unknown conditions which could prove to be
- Physical Requirements: carry, file, lift, reach, sit, speak, write, climb, hear, pull,
read, stand, type, drive, kneel, push, see, and stoop. Must also possess the ability
to walk long distances and to be on your feet all day.
- Mental Requirements: advise, compare, evaluate, interpret, organize, supervise,
analyze, decide, inspect, measure, plan, work independently, calculate, diagnose,
instruct, negotiate and problem solve.
- Ability to handle sensitive information and maintain high level confidentiality.
- Must be personable, outgoing, approachable and exude a positive personality.
- Excellent professional communication skills (verbal and written).
- Organization, attention to detail, flexibility, and strong ability to multi-task.
- Ability to work without supervision and demonstrate considerable initiative.
Founded in 1856, Wilberforce University is America’s first private, coeducational University established to educated men and women of African descent; and is closely affiliated with the African Methodist Episcopal Church. Today, Wilberforce is a well-respected private, residential liberal arts university with a clear mission, core values and vision for the future and is a noted pioneer in the Co-Operative Education Movement.
Wilberforce awards the Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees in the areas of business, engineering and computing science, humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences; as well as the Master of Rehabilitation Counseling degree. The University is located in Wilberforce, Ohio, a community readily accessible to the Dayton, Cincinnati and Columbus metropolitan centers’ social, professional and cultural amenities and airports.
Wilberforce University is an Equal Opportunity Employer
How to Apply:
To apply for the Security Officer position, use the “Quick Apply/Submit Resume” button below to submit your information, cover letter and resume to the Wilberforce University Department of Administration and Human Resources.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com