The Staff Accountant is responsible for reviewing general ledger accounts; preparing and adjusting journal entries; performing account analysis and reconciliations; and assisting with financial reporting. This position may specialize in some phase of accounting work such as federal funds accounting, property and equipment control, cost, payroll, budgeting, or bond servicing. Works under moderate supervision, with limited latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Perform monthly account reconciliations for balance sheet accounts and expense accounts as assigned.
· Prepare and post monthly standard journal entries. Responsible for researching and processing corrective entries on accounts assigned.
· Prepare schedules to support internal and external financial reporting in compliance with standard accounting principles and practices to ensure reliability of financial data.
· Support the month-end and year-end close process.
· Prepares financial statements, reports, schedules, and exhibits; prepares and/or processes general journal entries; and prepares and/or processes payment, cash, purchase, travel, and related vouchers.
· Prepares periodic analyses of fund balances and expenditures, and prepares technical reports on payroll, estimates, cost data, and budget items.
· Audits accounting and financial documents for accuracy and compliance with departmental policies and procedures and state and federal statutes.
· Classifies, codes, posts, and balances financial and accounting documents and records.
· Researches and reconciles discrepancies in accounts, or bank statements, and reports findings.
· Reviews institutional accounting records, such as expenditure, fund, revenues, and expenditures to ensure assets are accounted for properly.
· May recommend improvements, adaptations, or revisions to the accounting system and accompanying procedures.
· Performs related work as assigned
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or a related field AND three years of professional accounting experience. High level of proficiency using Microsoft Excel (i.e. ability to create pivot tables and complex formulas).
· Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and procedures affecting the maintenance of accounting records and automated accounting systems.
· Ability to interpret and apply accounting theory; to work accurately with numerical detail; to analyze, consolidate, and interpret accounting data; and to communicate effectively.
· Experience working in one or more functional areas of accounting.
· Skill in using office computer information systems to organize, store, manipulate and retrieve data.
Founded in 1856, Wilberforce University is America’s first private, coeducational University established to educated men and women of African descent; and is closely affiliated with the African Methodist Episcopal Church. Today, Wilberforce is a well-respected private, residential liberal arts university with a clear mission, core values and vision for the future and is a noted pioneer in the Co-Operative Education Movement.
Wilberforce awards the Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees in the areas of business, engineering and computing science, humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences; as well as the Master of Rehabilitation Counseling degree. The University is located in Wilberforce, Ohio, a community readily accessible to the Dayton, Cincinnati and Columbus metropolitan centers’ social, professional and cultural amenities and airports.
Wilberforce University is an Equal Opportunity Employer
How to Apply:
To apply for the Staff Accountant position, use the “Quick Apply/Submit Resume” button below to submit your information, cover letter and resume to the Wilberforce University Department of Administration and Human Resources.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org