Wilberforce University seeks a System/Network Administrator to join our team. The successful candidate will work closely with the Chief Information Officer (CIO) and take responsibility for overseeing and maintaining the university’s IT infrastructure. We are looking for a System/Network Administrator to maintain a reliable, secure, and efficient data communications network. The ideal candidate will be able to deploy, configure, maintain, and monitor all active network equipment and server to ensure smooth operation.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
· Configure and maintain application servers, including security patching, software and licensing, group policy administration, Active Directory maintenance, and granular file share management
· Manage Active Directory group, user and computer objects, the AD Schema include Azure
· Possess the ability to work with Windows, Power Automate, Python, SQL, Perl scripting, Power Shell with Azure, Office365 maintenance/trouble shooting
· Install and integrate new server hardware and applications and assist in network design and implementation
· New VM / Physical Server Implementations/maintenance with VMware ESXi cluster
· Troubleshooting ESX issues related to storage, network and performance issues
· New VM / Physical Server Implementations
· Maintain servers and associated hardware, applications, services, and settings
· Develop and monitor policies for the use of network resources
· Evaluate and recommend security improvements, system upgrades, and server system administration
· Monitor network to ensure optimal performance (availability, utilization, throughput, goodput, and latency) and test for weaknesses
· Maintain detailed documentation and inventory
· Work with appropriate 3rdparty vendors, as needed, to accomplish job responsibilities
· Documentation of Procedures, Systems, and Network Configuration
· Vendor Support Liaison
· Excellent trouble shooting and problem-solving skills
· Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
· This position requires emergency response and weekend duty as need
· Define network policies and procedures
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Fundamental knowledge of networking concepts
· Proven network administration, network engineering, network operations, and network performance analysis skills
· Hands-on technical troubleshooting capabilities and hands on experience in networking, routing, and switching
· Ability to work independently under minimal supervision
· Knowledge of computing infrastructures
· Familiarity with server management and monitoring tools
· Exceptional critical thinking and problem-solving ability
· Proficiency with scripting languages
· Strong interpersonal skills to assist non-technical individuals with complex technical issues
· Excellent knowledge of best practices around management, control, and monitoring of server infrastructure
· Experience with firewalls, Internet VPN’s remote implementation, troubleshooting, and problem resolution is desired
· Ability to set up and configure server hardware
· Familiarity with backup and recovery software and methodologies
· Great at organizing, prioritizing, and multitasking
· Have a minimum of an two years associate degree in a related technical field.
· Having 3-5 years of experience in a related technical role is required.
· Having 2-3 years of experience in a VMware ESXi
· Preferred Certs: CompTIA Network+, CompTIA Security+, CompTIA Server+. MCSE certification
· Juniper, Cisco, CWNA or BCNE training, CISSP, CCNA, or CCNP certification a plus
Founded in 1856, Wilberforce University is America’s first private, coeducational University established to educated men and women of African descent; and is closely affiliated with the African Methodist Episcopal Church. Today, Wilberforce is a well-respected private, residential liberal arts university with a clear mission, core values and vision for the future and is a noted pioneer in the Co-Operative Education Movement.
Wilberforce awards the Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees in the areas of business, engineering and computing science, humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences; as well as the Master of Rehabilitation Counseling degree. The University is located in Wilberforce, Ohio, a community readily accessible to the Dayton, Cincinnati and Columbus metropolitan centers’ social, professional and cultural amenities and airports.
Wilberforce University is an Equal Opportunity Employer
How to Apply:
To apply for the System/Network Administrator position, use the “Quick Apply/Submit Resume” button below to submit your information, cover letter and resume to the Wilberforce University Department of Administration and Human Resources.